Become a YEI Innovator!
The Venture Creation Program (VCP) was created to catalyze and support the growth of new, early-stage ventures at Yale. It is dedicated to providing resources for entrepreneurial teams to commercialize promising, unique products or services. The VCP is a cohort-based program, where each student team attends an orientation, two update lunches, and a pitch lunch. Each team is expected to make tangible progress on their ventures throughout the program, and presents regularly on their progress and lessons learned to VC Advisors/Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, YEI staff, mentors, and other LAB teams.
**APPLICATIONS FOR 2016-2017 ARE NOW CLOSED**
We’re looking for Yale students, postdocs and faculty interested in launching a startup.
All applicants will be automatically considered for additional support through the Global Social Venture Creation Program.
- In partnership with InnovateHealth Yale, two teams that focus on improving global health in a low-resource country will be eligible for this prize. In addition to the $1,000 given to all teams, each global social venture team receives $2,200 to travel to the country that is the focus of the venture.
How to Apply
- Read through the Selection Criteria, and Benefits & Requirements below
- Attend YEI Office Hours to receive the application link. Need more days/times? ADDITIONAL OFFICE HOURS HAVE BEEN ADDED WITH OUR VENTURE CREATION ADVISORS. SIGN UP HERE!
- Complete the application by the deadline
Dates & Deadlines
- Applications Due: Friday, Sept. 16 (Cohort 1); Friday, Oct. 28 (Cohort 2)
- Mandatory Attendance Dates (Cohort 1): Fri., Sept. 30 (Orientation); Fri., Oct. 14 (Update Lunch); Fri., Oct. 28 (Update Lunch 2); Fri., Nov. 4 (Pitch Day)
- Mandatory Attendance Dates (Cohort 2): Fri„ Nov. 11 (Orientation); Fri., Dec. 2 (Update Lunch); Fri., Dec. 9 (Update Lunch 2); Thurs., Dec. 15 (Pitch Day)
All Applicant Teams will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Compelling and unique product or service (What impact are you trying to have? How are you different?)
- Validated customer or market demand (Do people want what you are offering?)
- Reasonable initial business model hypothesis (How will you make money?)
- Team qualifications, commitment and motivation (Can your team pull it off?)
BENEFITS & REQUIREMENTS
Accepted Yale Innovators in the Program Receive:
- $1,000 in funding*
- A dedicated Venture Creation Advisor
- Drop-in workspace in the YEI Incubator (254 Elm Street) during the academic year
- Educational training in Lean Startup, Product-Market Fit, Customer Discovery, and more
- If needed, access to YEI’s Venture Creation Consultants
- If needed, access to YEI’s corporate partner services, in legal, branding, intellectual property, and more*
- If needed, a mentor from YEI’s Mentor Network
- Access to meetings with YEI’s VC/angels/foundations network
- Special consideration for YEI Summer Fellowship ($15,000)
- Eligibility to apply for YEI Innovation Fund ($100,000)
*please note that funding does not apply to faculty teams.
Accepted Innovator Teams Agree to:
- Attend the cohort’s orientation, two update lunches, and the final pitch lunch (please see above for dates for this cycle’s dates)
- Dedicate at least 5-10 hours per week to advancing the venture outside of programming
- Meet with their Venture Creation Advisors regularly
- Utilize resources provided
- Provide regular updates on their venture and progress to their VCA and/or YEI staff over the lifecycle of the venture (including post-VCP)
Questions? Contact Kassie Tucker, email@example.com.