- Office Hours
- Start Something
- Venture Creation Program
- Social Venture Creation Program
- Tech Bootcamp
- YEI Innovation Fund
- Technology Commercialization Program
- Venture Creation Consultants
- VC Advisors
- Mentor Program
Venture Creation Program
The Venture Creation Program was created to catalyze and support the growth of new, early-stage ventures at Yale University. It is dedicated to providing resources for entrepreneurial teams to commercialize promising, unique products or services, for which there is a customer or market demand. In the 2014-15 academic year, the VCP will be a cohort-based program, where each team attends an orientation at the beginning and pitch night at the end, is expected to make transformative progress on their ventures throughout the program, and presents regularly on their progress and lessons learned to VC Advisors, YEI staff and mentors and other VCP teams.
We’re looking for any Yale innovators (faculty and students) interested in launching a startup. Ideally you’ll have a clear view of an unmet market need, a core team, an initial business model and a coherent plan for use of YEI resources.
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR 2014-2015: September 25; October 23; February 19.
Please note that in order to apply, you must either attend office hours with YEI staff, or attend one of the educational workshops offered by YEI (Start Something: Lean Startup or Intensive workshops are eligible). You will be asked to note how you fulfilled this requirement in your application.
Each team accepted into VCP receives:
- $1,000 in funding for students; $2,500 for faculty
- A dedicated Venture Creation Advisor or a dedicated staff member for Yale technologies
- A mentor from YEI’s mentor network of entrepreneurs, investors, and experts
- Opportunities to pitch the venture at regular new venture pitch nights
- Drop-in work space in the YEI incubators during the academic year.
- Access to workshops and office hours with YEI’s corporate partners, including legal, accounting, branding, marketing, and web development firms
- Access to/meetings with YEI's VC/angels/foundations network
- Access to apply to SBIR Consultant resources as provided by Connecticut Innovations (up to $5,000)
- Access to Venture Creation Consultants
- Special consideration for Summer Fellowship
- Eligibility to apply for New Venture Pitch nights
- Special consideration for YEI Fellowship ($15,000)
- Eligibility to apply for YEI Innovation Fund ($100,000)
Each accepted team agrees to:
- Attend the cohort’s orientation (1st cohort: October 14; 2nd cohort: November 12; 3rd cohort: March 4) and VCP Pitch Night
- Attend at least 1 YEI learning workshop per month
- Dedicate at least 5-10 hours per week to advancing the venture outside of programming
- Meet with their Venture Creation Advisors AT LEAST once/month
- Fully use resources provided
- Provide regular updates on their venture and progress to their VCA and/or YEI staff over the lifecycle of the venture (including post-VCP)
Teams will be evaluated on the following selection metrics:
- Compelling and unique/differentiated product or service
- Validated customer/market demand
- Reasonable initial business model hypothesis
- Team has skills to build this product/service or compelling plan to recruit additional members
- Demonstrated team commitment and motivation
(Please note that this initial form must be completed by one venture team member, preferably the lead founder/primary contact).
Questions? Contact Margaret Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our former VCP teams here.