In the lead up to the 2014 YEI Summer Fellowship (applications go live Dec. 2 and are due Jan. 22) YEI presents a look at some of our success stories – founders who developed their startups during past YEI Summer Fellowships and have gone on to reach new heights in their respective industries.
Up first… Justin Borgman!
Name: Justin Borgman
Industry: Big Data
Summer Fellowship Year: 2010
Justin Borgman (still pursuing his SOM degree) is the CEO and cofounder of Hadapt —a tech company working on better ways to rapidly analyze huge chunks of data such as big databases or image and video files. The technology allows businesses to better process big data, such as web traffic, in order to better understand consumer behavior and preferences.
- Justin started Hadapt as a Yale SOM student along with Yale computer science professor Daniel Abadi as part of the Technology Commercialization Program run by YEI and the Yale Office of Cooperative Research.
- He's a Commonwealth Scholar at the University of MA at Amherst where he received a B.S. in Computer Science.
- Hadapt was a finalist in the “Startup to Watch” category during the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council’s 2013 awards.
- Justin was awarded one of the Boston Business Journal's "40 Under 40" awards in Oct. 2013 as part of the next wave of talent in the Boston community.
- Hadapt was named one of 14 big data startups to watch by Business Insider and one of the "hottest startups" by the New England Venture Capital Association.
- The startup received $9.5 funding through investments in 2011 and is based in Cambridge, MA.
- Hadapt went on to raise $17 million in total from the Cambridge offices of Bessemer Venture Partners and Atlas Venture and Norwest Venture Partners of Palo Alto.