Name: Michael Inwald
Industry: Food service / franchise
Summer Fellowship Year: 2009
Michael Inwald (SOM '10) opened his first Cheeseboy: Grilled Cheese to Go joint — offering grilled-cheese takeout — in Milford, Connecticut, in 2009. Cheeseboy was selected for the YEI Summer Fellowship in 2009, while Inwald was an SOM student.
- Started by using $20,000 of his own funds to operate grilled cheese stands at county fairs around Connecticut.
- Named “Generation Next Entrepreneur to Watch” by CNNMoney.
- Has sold more than $5 million in grilled cheese sandwiches to date.
- Named by Nation’s Restaurant News in 2013 as a top 50 “Breakout Brand.”
- Currently has 11 locations across New England, employing over 130 people.
- Has given away over 40,000 sandwiches through a charity project with Paul Newman’s Serious Fun Network.
- Sold its 1 millionth sandwich in July 2013.
**Remember: Applications for this year’s Summer Fellowship are due on Wed., Jan. 22 at midnight. Think you could be the next YEI Success Story? Learn more and apply here!Read More