About the Summer Fellowship
Applications are now closed!
Admission to the YEI Summer Fellowship Program at Yale is competitive and will be limited to 10-12 Yale student venture teams. Student Venture teams accepted into the program will receive the following:
- Up to $20,000 per Venture Team as a stipend (see below)
- 2-3 Mentors from YEI's Mentor Network for each venture team
- Workspace in the YEI Incubator during the 10-week program
- Networking opportunities with entrepreneurs and investors
- Access to reduced costs for legal and accounting services
- Plus, breakfast and lunch on weekdays during the 10-week program
Stipend: Student venture teams accepted into the program may receive up to $20K ($5K per founder up to 4 founders) as a grant to support their living costs and initial venture setup during the summer.
Preference will be shown to student venture teams made up of 2 or more members applying to the program. Student Venture teams must have at least one current undergraduate or graduate Yale student on the founding team. Yale students graduating in May 2013 are still eligible to apply.**
Strong preference will be shown to teams who can clearly address the following questions:
- Is the venture VIABLE?
- Is it solving a significant customer problem? Will people pay for a solution?
- Have customer interviews/research validated the need?
- How much idea or technology risk is there?
- How equipped is the TEAM to tackle the problem?
- Are there complementary and complete skillsets on board?
- Are there experts who can be tapped to advise?
- Is the OPPORTUNITY big enough?
- Is there an opportunity to generate significant revenue?
- What is the growth potential of the business?
- Is this a growing vs shrinking market?
- Can the team EXECUTE?
- What progress has been made to date?
- What are key milestones that have been achieved, and what’s down the road?
- What will be done over the fellowship?
The program begins in March with semi-regular meetings to jumpstart the learning of crucial startup fundamentals and to connect fellows with mentors and advisors. Fellows are expected to attend all program meetings in the spring and summer, and to be based in New Haven during the full-time summer program.
A schedule of the 2013 program spring commitments is below:
March 27, 6-8pm - Orientation
April 5, 1-3pm - Workshop
April 12, 1-3pm - Workshop
April 16, 5-8pm - Mentor Open House
April 19, 1-3pm - Workshop
May 22-July 26: Full-time program in New Haven (including speakers, receptions, and daytrips to external locations)
**Note: Non-Yale students who are co-founders may apply as a member of a student venture team with at least one current Yale student co-founder who is also applying to the program.